News of the Weird

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
Flamby
Appelez moi Echelon

MessageSujet: News of the Weird   Mer 18 Jan 2012 - 9:24

January 17th, 2012 a écrit:

Zopittybop-Bop-Bop has cops in a knot

Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop’s rocking around the clock has his US neighbours in a knot.

The police are tongue-tied too as they try to explain the arrest of the oddly named 30-year-old, following complaints about his excessive drinking and drug-taking.

Any offences would be in violation of bail conditions from Zopittybop-Bop-Bop’s previous run-in with the law.

Court records show the man’s name used to be Jeffrey Drew Wilschke. He legally changed it in October.

The Capital Times reports that Zopittybop-Bop-Bop was arrested last week after residents complained of excessive drinking and drug use near Reynolds Park in Madison, Wisconsin.

Authorities say he was arrested in another incident in April after police found a loaded hand-gun in his backpack.

He has been tentatively charged with carrying a concealed knife, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana and a probation violation.

January 10th, 2012 a écrit:

Kim Anthony Jones Sets World Record By Jump Roping 164 Times On A Unicycle

Some people never master jump roping. Most people never master the unicycle.

Kim Anthony Jones has mastered both and now he has a world record to show for it.

Jones, a member of the King Charles Troupe, a group of men from the Bronx who specialize in unicycle basketball, just set a world record for most single jumps on a unicycle while double dutch jump roping by hopping on one wheel 164 times in succession.

In order for the record to count, Jones needed to remain balanced on unicycle throughout attempt and wasn’t allowed any outside support.

In addition, he had to set his record in the double dutch style jump roping style using two standard jump ropes, and the unicycle had to be lifted over ropes on each jump.

January 3rd, 2012 a écrit:
Mouse In Mountain Dew Would Turn Into ‘Jelly Like’ Goo, Pepsi Says

Mountain Dew drinkers know their distinctively yellow beverage of choice is packed with caffeine, but a new lawsuit might get them thinking about what else is in there.

PepsiCo, the drink’s manufacturer, is being sued by Ronald Ball of Wisconsin, who claims in a 2009 lawsuit that he opened a can from a vending machine, tasted something foul, and spat out a dead mouse, acccording to MadisonRecord.com.

Ball, who is seeking damages in excess of $50,000, claims he then sent the mouse to Pepsi, which destroyed the mouse’s body.

However, Pepsi is now moving to dismiss the case, citing testimony from an expert who claims that acid used when the drink is bottled would have caused the rodent to transform into a “jelly-like’ substance,” according to LegalNewsline.com.

Mountain Dew’s mouse-dissolving capabilities may also helped by another ingredient in the bubbly beverage: brominated vegetable oil (BVO) a chemical that Gizmodo points out is banned in Europe and Japan, but is allowed in limited quantities in sodas like Mountain Dew, Squirt and Fanta Orange.

BVO is added to soda for the purpose of giving it more consistent flavoring.

December 27th, 2011 a écrit:

1941 Fruitcake In Ohio Sells For $525

CINCINNATI — A 1941 fruitcake has sold for $525 to an Arizona man in an Ohio company’s online auction, and the money will go to the homeless in southwest Ohio.

Elite Estate Group sold the cake in an auction on its website. Company owner Larry Chaney says the man, who wanted to remain anonymous, probably bought the cake as an investment. Chaney says he doubts anyone would eat a 70-year-old fruitcake even though it was vacuum packed and contained rum that probably helped preserve it.

The cake was made in 1941 by The Kroger Co. It was returned unopened to a Kroger store in 1971. The manager took it home and kept it until recently when his son was helping him get rid of some things and gave the cake to Chaney.

December 20th, 2011 a écrit:

Baby seal breaks into home, gets comfy on couch

WASHINGTON – A fur-covered intruder surprised a New Zealand woman Sunday night, after making himself at home on her couch.

The New Zealand Herald reports Annette Swoffer was shocked to find a baby fur-seal curled up in her family, just hanging out with the family pets.

She tells the Herald she thought she was hallucinating.

Katrina Knill from the New Zealand Department of Conservation tells WTOP via email:

“The seal had travelled from the nearby harbour, across a road, up a driveway, through a cat door and into the property owner’s lounge, where it made itself comfortable on the couch.”

The Herald reports Swoffer called the SPCA, which contacted the Department of Conservation.

As luck would have it, the DOC was already in the area, following up on reports of a wandering seal.

A member of the DOC removed the seal from the home, but not before the wily pup escaped from a box in the back of the DOC car, made its way to the front, accidentally turned on the radio and sat down in the front seat.

Eventually, the seal was released back into the wild, Knill says.

“Occasionally they travel inland (usually via estuaries and waterways). When on land they can become disoriented and have been found on previous occasions in unexpected places such as backyards, drains and streets,” Knill tells WTOP.

December 13th, 2011 a écrit:

Two-headed Turtle ‘Teeny’ And ‘Tiny’ Believed To Be World’s Smallest

Good things come in small packages — if you happen to be a collector of two-headed animals.

Todd Ray, who runs the Venice Beach Freakshow in Los Angeles, which features a variety of two-headed creatures as well as a five-legged dog, now believes his latest addition to his multi-headed menagerie is the biggest … and the smallest.

The creature in question is a two-headed razorback musk turtle that is about six months old and the size of a nickel.

One head of the two-headed turtle is named “Teeny” and the other is “Tiny” and Ray says both sides are “adorable.”

They may also be record breakers.

“I believe they are the smallest two-headed turtles ever,” Ray said, adding that he has owned many two-headed turtles over the years and never seen any as tiny as Teeny and Tiny.

Ray has been raising Teeny and Tiny for the last five months after coming in possession of them when they were a month old.

“I heard about them from a guy who was selling me a dead two-headed snake,” Ray said. “He told me about this friend who had the two-headed turtle and sort of brokered the deal. From the photos, I didn’t realize how small they were.”

Two-headed animals have a harder time surviving that their one-headed counterparts, but Ray says reptiles seem to do better than mammals.

“They move slow,” Ray said. “My vet says there’s never an emergency with them because everything happens slowly.”

Still, Ray says Teeny and Tiny are taking their own sweet time adjusting to life.

“They seem so worried,” he fretted. “They’re always too nervous to stick their heads out, but they’re getting more comfortable around me.”

That’s good news, because things have been topsy-turvy in Ray’s two-headed world recently.

Six weeks ago, Ray had a two-headed box turtle that was connected at the plastron, the bottom part of the shell, and things were so bad that he considered doing something he had never done before: Having them surgically separated.

Although he came close to getting a vet to do an operation, the turtles tragically died before that could take place.

Teeny and Tiny are doing better, but life isn’t easy for a two-headed turtle — especially when the two heads share one anus.

“Put it this way: We’re always happy when they poop because that means everything’s going OK,” he said.

Hopefully, it’s a happy ending in more ways than one.

November 30th, 2011 a écrit:

Urine-powered Video Game: Men Play Creative Media At Bar Urinals
Reading in the john is about to get some competition as a favorite bathroom activity now that there’s a new way to play video games.

A British company, Captive Media, has designed video games installed at bathroom urinals that men control with their stream of pee, the BBC reports.

Men relieving their bladders can aim at different sensors in the urinal to control the outcome of the game, according to the BBC.
There are three games to choose from: a skiing simulation, a trivia quiz with multiple choices, and a knock-down-the-penguins shooting gallery, The Telegraph says.

The average trip to the little boy’s room lasts 55 seconds in Britain, giving just enough time for a short advertisement before and after a round of the video game.

The console was tested in Cambridge before being released at a London pub. The makers will open the floodgates to other bars and clubs in the next few months, Sky News says.
Captive Media tout it as the first “hands free” game, although Sega already introduced pee-powered games called “Toylets” in Japanese loos earlier this year.

November 22nd, 2011 a écrit:
World Blog, NBC News: Wounded elephant walks again, thanks to jumbo-sized false foot
PHNOM TAMAO, Cambodia – “I really thought he would never make it,” said Nick Marx, stroking Chhouk’s trunk with a sense of pride and affection.

“He was seriously injured. He was extremely young, emaciated and very, very sick.”

Chhouk, a bull elephant now 5 years old, was found in the Cambodian jungle in 2007, alone and close to death, his left front foot mangled by a poacher’s trap.

Marx, the Director of Wildlife Rescue and Care at the Wildlife Alliance, a conservation group, was one of the first to the scene, nursing Chhouk in the jungle for a week.

“I stayed with him, slept beside him, hand-fed him everything he ate.

Chhouk was taken to the Cambodian government’s Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Center, outside Phnom Penh, and nursed back to health.

“The damage was severe,” Marx says. “He’s lost six to eight inches of his leg.”

A baby elephant gets a new leg: Conservationists didn’t think that Chhouk would survive after having a foot ripped apart by a trap in Cambodia, but thanks to a prosthetic limb, the pachyderm is thriving.

Marx turned to experts at the Cambodian School of Prosthetics and Orthotics, who’d learned their skills during the terrible conflicts (and landmine legacy) that once afflicted this part of Asia. They’d never tried anything on this scale before.

“It’s a kind of plastic resin. The inside is quite soft, and the outside is very hard,” Marx told me, as Chhouk’s keepers removed the artificial foot for its daily cleaning, a procedure that the young elephant has now gotten used to, lifting his leg into a small
compartment for the keepers to work on.

Though now his keepers have to exercise more care. Chhouk’s entering the equivalent of jumbo adolescence. He’s getting a bit of attitude. “We’ve certainly got to be more cautious,” said Marx, who can read the elephant’s mood better than anybody.

Then he was into the forest with Lucky, an older elephant that seems to have adopted the youngster. On the narrow path, then playing in a small lake, he seemed comfortable and confident.

“It’s changed his life,” says Marx. “From being a tired little chap who slept a lot when he went on his walks, he’s now lively and energetic. He never stops.”

He’s now on his fourth prosthetic leg, because of heavy wear, but also because Chhouk is growing up fast.

He’s become the best known resident – and a symbol of resilience – at Phnom Tamao, which is maintained by the Wildlife Alliance and supported by the Sea World and Busch Gardens Conservation Fund. The rescue center now houses more than 1,000 animals, ranging from elephants to tigers, gibbons, bears and birds, many of which, like Chhouk, arrived close to death.

“We’ve rescued so many animals from the illegal wildlife trade – an incredibly cruel business. All of them would be dead without us,” says Marx.

Ian Williams/ NBC News

November 15th, 2011 a écrit:

Trees Cocooned in Spider Webs After Pakistan Flood

The Silver Lining, The Spider Webs! An unexpected side-effect of the flooding in parts of Pakistan has been that millions of spiders climbed up into the trees to escape the rising flood waters. Because of the scale of the flooding and the fact that the water has taken so long to recede, many trees have become cocooned in spiders webs. People in this part of Sindh have never seen this phenome…non before but, they also report that there are now far fewer mosquitoes than they would expect, given the amount of stagnant, standing water that is around.

It is thought that the mosquitoes are getting caught in the spiders web, thus, reducing the risk of malaria, which would be one blessing for the people of Sindh, facing so many other hardships after the floods

Trees shrouded in ghostly cocoons line the edges of a submerged farm field in the Pakistani village of Sindh, where 2010′s massive floods drove millions of spiders into the trees to spin their webs.

Beginning last July, unprecedented monsoons dropped nearly ten years’ worth of rainfall on Pakistan in one week, swelling the country’s rivers. The water was slow to recede, creating vast pools of stagnant water across the countryside.

Seen in December 2010, a young girl stands next to a tree covered in spider webs in Sindh, Pakistan, near the intersection of two roads that had only recently reemerged from floodwaters.

At the height of the crisis, the flooded region covered an area the size of England. Nearly 2,000 people died during the disaster and 20 million people were affected, according to the Pakistani government.

November 8th, 2011 a écrit:

Face In Tumour: Testicular Growth Shocks Doctors After Ultrasound

People see the strangest things in clouds and burnt toast, but this latest sighting can’t be topped: A face on a testicular tumour.

As reported by The Toronto Star, Canadian doctors were shocked when they looked at an ultrasound image of a testicular tumour (see image above).

“It was very ghoulish, like a man screaming in pain,” Doctor Naji Touma, who works at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ont., told The Star about the picture taken in 2009.

Dr. Touma and Greg Roberts wrote in their paper submitted to the journal Urology that they saw a “…man’s face staring up out of the image, his mouth agape as if the face seen on the ultrasound scan itself.”

Their Urology abstract notes:

“A brief debate ensued on whether the image could have been a sign from a deity (perhaps ‘Min’ the Egyptian god of male virility); however, the consensus deemed it a mere coincidental occurrence rather than a divine proclamation.”

An ultrasound uses sound waves to produce an image. The Canadian Testicular Cancer Association says signs of cancer can include a painless lump, swelling of the testicle or aching in the lower abdomen. It’s the most common form of cancer in males between the ages of 15 and 29.

November 1st, 2011 a écrit:

Man juggles and solves Rubik’s Cubes at the same time
[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir ce lien]
How is it possible that the ante on Rubik’s Cubes videos can keep going up? I’ve seen people solve them without sight, solve them at incredible speeds, solve multiple puzzles at once and more. But none of them have anything on this unique new video I’ve just seen above. Watch and prepare to be amazed.

Are you impressed? Yeah, you know you are. The YouTube video shows one very skilled guy by the name of David Calvo juggling and solving multiple Rubik’s Cubes simultaneously. If you’d like to check out more astonishing Rubik’s Cubes videos by David Calvo, you can go to his YouTube page by clicking here.

October 25th, 2011 a écrit:

Marni Kotak, NYC Artist, Plans Birth As Performance Art At The Microscope Gallery
NEW YORK — The bedroom is brightly decorated with ocean blue walls, family pictures and photo-imprinted pillows and blankets of the mother-to-be. An inflatable birthing pool and air mattress for the midwife and doula lie near the bed. A soundtrack of the ocean plays nonstop.

Marni Kotak has created a cozy environment for the birth of her first child. But the bedroom is not in her home. It is in a Brooklyn art gallery.

The 36-year-old Kotak is a performance artist who has created a home-birth center at the Microscope Gallery where she plans to deliver her baby as a work of art sometime in the next few weeks.

The gallery has extended the days it is open to all seven days a week so Kotak – as part of the project – can develop a rapport with members of the public who come to see “The Birth of Baby X.”

She and her painter-husband, Jason Robert Bell, don’t know the baby’s gender and have not picked out a name.

About 20 people a day stop by to talk to Kotak or see the free exhibit, which opened Oct. 8. Visitors can leave contact information if they want to return for the birth.

Kotak said her audience “won’t be total strangers.” She said those who spend time talking to her about motherhood, birth and art and learning about the project will be notified when she goes into labor. If she’s home at the time, she will go to the gallery.

“I’m developing an authentic relationship with these people,” she said. “For me, it’s like building a community of people who are really interested in this.”

About 15 people, mostly those on the list plus the birthing team, are expected to witness the birth – the most the room can comfortably hold.

October 19th, 2011 a écrit:

Mummifying Alan: Taxi driver Alan Billis from Torquay made into a mummy like Tutankhamun after volunteering his body
MEET Alan Billis who is the first person in over 3,000 years to be mummified like Tutankhamun.

The 61-year-old taxi driver volunteered his body to the bizarre experiment before his death in January from lung cancer.

His corpse was put through a variety of special techniques used by the ancient Egyptians to mummify pharaohs.

Now, thanks to Alan, scientists have finally worked out how kings dating back to before 1,000BC were preserved.

His decision had the full support of his family – but they admit to being a bit nervous when they first saw his remains.

Speaking about the experiment, wife Jan joked: “I’m the only woman in the country with a mummy for a husband. “I went to see him after he had been mummified, but I didn’t want them to unwrap the cloth and let me see his face in case I couldn’t cope with it.

“It was funny as I expected his body to be all stiff and hard but it was actually quite soft, and the skin sort of bounced back when you pressed it. He used to say, ‘I won’t be Tutankhamun, I’ll be Tutanalan… the grandkids will be able to tell their friends their grandad’s a mummy’.”

A team of experts including renowned forensic pathologist Professor Peter Vanezis mummified Alan’s body at Sheffield’s Medico Legal Centre.

They first took out his organs, sterilised his corpse and re-packed it with small bags of linen to restore its appearance.

The body’s water was then removed and the skin protected with oil and beeswax.

Alan was then left in a special salt bath for over a month before being dried out in a chamber to replicate the high temperature and low humidity of Egypt.

Finally he was wrapped with linen bandages – in the same way as the pharaohs – to allow drying to continue.

Jan was bewildered when Alan, of Torquay, Devon, first volunteered for the experiment, which will be shown in a TV documentary.

She told the Radio Times: “He said, ‘I’ve just phoned someone up about being mummified’. I said, you’ve what? ‘Yes, I’ve phoned up someone about being mummified’.

“And I thought here we go again. It’s just the sort of thing you’d expect him to do. He said, ‘When I’m dead, I’m dead, it doesn’t make any difference what they do to me. Besides, what they find out might do someone else some good’.

“He always enjoyed being the centre of attention, and the involvement in the TV programme took his mind off his illness.

“If he could come back now and see himself, he’d be in his glory. He always said if he ended up in a glass case in a museum, he wanted to be fitted with an electric arm so he could always wave at me.”

His body will stay at Medico Legal Centre where it will be studied.

Edit :
Et toujours pas au bon endroit
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Utopia
Moderateur

MessageSujet: Re: News of the Weird   Mer 18 Jan 2012 - 10:03

Déplacé !! C'est bon là ?
Flamby
Appelez moi Echelon

MessageSujet: Re: News of the Weird   Mer 18 Jan 2012 - 10:04

Non c'est en rapport avec le groupe, j'aurais plutôt vu ca dans Voici la Vie sur Mars.. non?
Utopia
Moderateur

MessageSujet: Re: News of the Weird   Mer 18 Jan 2012 - 10:05

Cépafo je le migre !!
cdu leto
Posteur Fou

MessageSujet: Re: News of the Weird   Mer 18 Jan 2012 - 10:31

Heu c'est quoi tout ça?! o.o
Flamby
Appelez moi Echelon

MessageSujet: Re: News of the Weird   Mer 18 Jan 2012 - 10:31

Des publications du groupe sur le site off' à propos de news un peu bizarres qu'ils ont retenues.
¤*ViVi*¤
Habitué(e)

MessageSujet: Re: News of the Weird   Mer 18 Jan 2012 - 15:31

sympa l'idée!!finalement même plus besoin d'aller sur le site off' tout est ici ^^
Flamby
Appelez moi Echelon

MessageSujet: Re: News of the Weird   Ven 27 Jan 2012 - 23:47

January 26th, 2012 a écrit:

English city deters teens with pig dung

It may not be the most conventional way of tackling crime, but an English city council has claimed success after using pig dung to eject teenagers from a woodland they used to drink and take drugs.

Elderly residents of Middlesbrough, northeast England, had complained that young people were smoking cannabis and drinking alcohol in a woodland area near the Coulby Newham housing estate.

In response, officials thinned out the trees so the area was more visible from paths and then spread a thick layer of pig manure on the ground – which has proved highly effective in deterring wayward teens.
Advertisement: Story continues below

“Following complaints, an inspection of the area revealed it was being used to drink alcohol and take drugs, as paraphernalia known as bongs were found,” said a spokesman for Middlesbrough Council.

“Feedback from the residents indicated that, although there was a slight whiff in Willowbank, they would much rather have a pong than a bong.”
Flamby
Appelez moi Echelon

MessageSujet: Re: News of the Weird   Dim 5 Fév 2012 - 18:50

February 2nd, 2012 a écrit:

World Toilet-Paper Folding Record Broken By High School Students!

This is no Halloween prank: Massachusetts teens have officially broken the world toilet-paper-folding record. Students from the St. Mark’s School in Southborough completed 13 folds and 8,192 layers, beating a previous high school student’s record of 12 folds in 2002. The class was guided by their mathematics teacher James Tanton, who has waited seven years for a class to finally break the record.

The question is, how did they do it? According to BostInno.com, the students taped 64 layers of toilet paper the into a a sixth fold. They then mimicked those layers and folded the stack. The end result was 8,192 layers thick, 1.5 meters wide and 76 centimeters high.

The New Scientist detailed the mathematical process here:

Based on the thickness of a sheet of paper, a formula can be used to calculate the minimum length needed to fold it a given number of times. Paper roughly doubles in size with each fold and the sides become more rounded, making it harder and harder to bend. Wrinkles also have a significant impact, making the formula difficult to follow in practice. In addition, no single roll is long enough to fold thirteen times, requiring the group to tape together numerous rolls of industrial toilet paper 1.2 kilometers long.

And according to Wired.com, with 0.08mm-thick toilet paper, if you could get a long-enough piece, it would be possible to reach the Moon with around 42 toilet paper folds. A new goal for Mr. Tanton’s next class, perhaps?
Flamby
Appelez moi Echelon

MessageSujet: Re: News of the Weird   Dim 12 Fév 2012 - 18:58

February 9th, 2012 a écrit:

Nick Stoeberl Challenges Stephen Taylor, World’s Longest Tongue Guinness Record Holder

Nick Stoeberl wants to stick out in this world.

Ideally, the 21-year-old from Monterey, Calif., would like to make his mark doing standup comedy, but even if that doesn’t work out, he has something else up his sleeve … or down his throat.

Stoeberl possesses a tongue that has been measured at 3.988 inches, and he believes it is the largest in the world.

“I just always knew it was large,” Stoeberl told HuffPost Weird News. “My dad was a big KISS fan before he passed away and I really do think that has something to do with it.”

Stoeberl’s tongue has been verified as the world’s largest by Recordsetter.com, an adjudicating agency that specializes in wacky world records such as “Most Times To Sing ‘The Golden Girls Theme Song’ While The Song Is Playing” or “Fastest Time For Two People To Switch Pants”.

However, records like this are the stuff that were made for Guinness World Records, and the current tongue record holder is Stephen Taylor, a 50-year-old British man whose licker measures a whopping 3.86 inches — long enough to fit five doughnuts on it, according to People.co.uk

Stoeberl concedes that’s long, but believes his is longer and he has applied for official Guinness certification.

He’s fairly certain the company will agree. “When I was measured by Recordsetter, I made sure they followed the same criteria as Guinness,” Stoeberl explained.

Those criteria include having the tongue measured from the tip to the middle of the closed upper lip; having three measurements taken at the time of measurement with the average length used as the accepted figure; and having the measurements taken by qualified medical practitioners.

A Guinness representative confirms that Stoeberl has submitted his application to them, but says the organization is waiting for the documentation. She added, “We would need to see this first hand, though.”
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: News of the Weird   

News of the Weird
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1